All modern Fire Safety has the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety order 1995 as its foundation, this came into action in October 2006.

It places a responsibility on the business owner/responsible person to conduct a Fire Risk Assessment or have it done for them. Either way, a Fire Risk Assessment has to be be done on the property. Details on this from the Deputy Prime Minister can be found by following this link. There are two methods to have a risk assessment done. Firstly, you can either do it yourself or employ a risk assessor to do it for you.


A) Doing it yourself – Below are some appropriate documents to help you do a Fire Risk Assessment:

The following is a list of the ten planned RRO guides to assist you in your Fire Risk Assessment:

1. Offices and Shops

2. Factories and warehouses

3. Sleeping accommodation 

4. Residential care premises

5. Educational premises

4. Small and Medium Places of assembly

5. Large places of assembly

6. Theatres and Cinemas

7. Open Air Events

8. Healthcare premises 

9. Transport premises and facilities

10. Animal premises and stables

Additional documents to download please click here.

B) Employing a suitable Risk assessor to do it for you:

There are many individuals and companies that offer this service and choosing the right one can be a daunting task.  A key point to consider are the competency of the professional risk assessor. It is vital that you choose a competent, professional risk assessor to have the job done in a suitable manner.

The following are what you are entitled to, and should take time to consider when deciding on a risk assessor that is right for you:


  • What qualifications do they have, PAS 79 is a basic first step qualification suitable for lower risk premises?
  • Are you a Fire Safety specific risk assessor or just Health and Safety or asbestos risk assessment?
  • Do you have specific Fire risk assessment efficacy or professional indemnity assurance?
  • Do you have a fire safety back ground (fire Brigade experience)?
  • Are you a member of a related trade association IFE for instance?
  • Can you provide references?


To have a risk assessment done by a professional risk assessor, prices start from approximately £300, if you are quoted less, be cautious and go through the list above.

Having an assessment done by a competent assessor, should save you money by offering you the correct equipment first time.

Paying once for a risk assessment will be majorly beneficial towards the business.

Please note that we do not do the risk assessment ourselves, we are a provider of services and goods. After identifying the fact that there would be a conflict of interest if we were to specify work and then quote it also.

We would rather recommend a reliable and professional risk assessor who will provide the best service for you.

Please call 0800 092 4021  and ask for details for the risk assessors that we recommend.

Share →